Thought you should know. I link to products and services that I love from time to time. Some of these links I have an affiliate relationship with. What does that mean? I may make a small percentage from any purchases you make, but don't worry, you won't pay even a penny more.
Herb Infused Honey Recipe
Making your own herb infused honey is crazy easy to make and taste amazing! In just two simple steps you will have your own custom herb infused honey blend.
Honey- The Wonder Food
Did you know honey is the ONLY food that never goes bad? It’s true. Honey expiration date? NEVER. Seriously, this liquid gold I tell ya.
Now don’t get me wrong. Honey can go bad, IF bacteria, food, water or other particles are introduced to honey, it can go rancid. I’m not talking about when you see the white crystals in honey, that’s perfectly fine and safe to eat. I’m talking about growing mold and a rancid smell kind of bad.
In order to prevent your honey from going south, always use a clean knife or utensil when using, and store in a sealed container. If you do this, you should be good to go.
Not All Honey Is Created Equal
I have to disclose that I am a beekeeper, so I happen to be a little biased when it comes to honey. However, others (thousands of others) will agree, nothing beats raw honey. The taste, medicinal properties and color are far superior to store-bought honey.
Recent research has shown that honey purchased is stores may not even be real honey! In fact, you may just be eating colored corn syrup if you’re buying your honey from a store.
In an article from Food Renegade
Almost all of them fessed up to being what they are — honey-flavored corn syrup. But I didn’t know that the vast majority of the major labels of honey sold in the U.S. aren’t real honey.
In addition to the possibility of being fake, if you are actually getting real honey from a store, it has gone through a heating process that destroys many of honeys healing benefits.
If you don’t have your own fresh raw honey supply, you should be able to locate some at: the farmers market, a healthy food store or contact your extension agency and ask about local beekeepers.
Benefits of Raw Honey
- Wound Care
- Helps with Allergies
- Digestive issues
- Sore throat care
Medicinal Properties Of Herbs
And the list goes on.
Ways To Use Your Herb Infused Honey
From delectable sweets to treating a sore throat, herb infused honey has many uses.
- drizzled over desserts,
- fresh fruit,
- ice cream
- on toast or biscuits
- in salad dressings
- give as gifts
- or as a sweetener for coffee, tea or lemonade
Herb Infused Honey Ingredients
- Fresh or dried herbs:
Lavender, Rose petals, Lemon Balm, Chamomile, Basil, Ginger, Sage, Peppermint, Cinnamon, Vanilla, Star Anise, Rosemary, and Thyme are just a few of the many options you can use.
- Raw, Organic Honey
- Clean dry glass jar and lid
- Fresh or dried herbs:
Herb Infused Honey Directions
- If using fresh herbs, let set out on a cloth overnight to wilt. This will help reduce excess moisture.
- Fill a clean mason jar halfway with fresh herbs or a quarter full with dried herbs.
- Top herbs with honey until covered.
- Stir honey with herbs and cap with a tight-fitting lid.
- Place in a sunny windowsill, and turn the jar over once per day.
- Add more honey if the herbs swell and rise above the honey.
- Allow to infuse for a week or longer, then strain once the desired flavor has been achieved.
- If you do not want to wait two weeks, you can place the herbs and honey in a crockpot on the warm setting for 24 hrs.
- You can strain the herbs or leave in the honey.
- Store in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Make sure to label your honey!
Making Honey Straws
Once you’ve made your herb infused honey, you used your honey to make honey straws. Honey straws are the perfect snack for on the go. They also make great gifts for others. I show you how to make honey straws in this step-by-step article here.
When you make this recipe, send me a message and let me know what combo you used.