A Compound Butter (or Finishing Butter) is a butter that has been mixed with other ingredients. Compound butters can be savory or sweet.
We made ours savory with this amazing Blue Cheese & Herb Infused Butter.
Have ever been out to eat at a nice restaurant and ordered steak or fish? Chances are they used a compound butter on it.
In addition to proteins, restaurants serve compound butter with rolls or biscuits. One of the local restaurants serves the most amazing sweet compound butters with their homemade biscuits, yummm.
Many people don’t like to season their meats while cooking but will add a finishing butter at the end to add the flavor to compliment the protein.
Besides tasting incredible and moist, everything’s better with butter, right?
Blue Cheese & Herb Infused Compound Butter
Not only is this AMAZing compound butter delicious on beef, it’s also great on chicken, fish, bread, and eggs.
- 1 Stick (or 1/2 cup homemade) Unsalted Butter + 1 Tbsp
- 3 Tbsp Blue Cheese Crumbles
- 1 Shallot or 1/2 Small Onion, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Chopped Garlic
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme, Chopped
- 1/8 tsp Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- Leave butter on counter to soften
- Add 1 Tbsp butter to a skillet and turn on to med-low heat
- Saute shallot (onion) until caramelized
- Add garlic, stir.
- Remove from heat
- Add butter to a mixing bowl
- Mix salt, pepper, thyme and blue cheese into butter
- Add onions and garlic to butter
- Mix thoroughly
- Let stand for 1 hr in cool place
You can roll your compound butter in wax paper then place in fridge for a log you can slice.
In addition to logs, I’ve used silicone molds for my butter.
The molded butter looks great served with a homemade loaf of bread.
When you pull that juicy steak, chicken or fish off the grill, add about 1 Tbsp of your compound butter to the top and watch it melt right in. Soooo good, it will leave you begging for more.
Want Some More Herb Recipes?
We love cooking with hers and are happy to share our recipes with you here.