Are you tired of using sticky, oily, stinky, mosquito repellent? Well, now you can stay protected from biting insects in style with this DIY Mosquito Repellent Necklace and say goodbye to the commercial sprays.
Our DIY Mosquito Repellent Necklace combines style with functionality. This project is so easy you can get the kids to help you.
If someone has a favorite herb or flower, you can custom make the necklaces, I receive special request all the time.
In addition to the necklaces, I would also offer essential oil blends for sale in 2ml drams- another way to generate income.
They are the perfect accessory for you and you can make money by selling them- win-win!
Supplies for Mosquito Repellent Necklace
- “>Cutting Board (the one you only use for crafts)
- “>Small Cutters Different Shapes
- Straw (regular drinking straw)
- String, Leather Cord, Rope or Chain
- Fresh Herbs or flowers for making an impression
- “>Sandpaper (100 grit)
- Essential Oils (see list below)
Instructions for Mosquito Repellent Necklace
- Grab a small handful of clay and roll it out on a cutting board about 1/4″ thick
- If desired, place herbs or flowers on your clay.
- Gently press the herbs into the clay with your rolling pin and remove.
- Use a cutter to cut the shape you want. Keep in mind the clay will shrink some during the drying process.
- Use a straw and make a hole for the cord (necklace) to string through.
- Carefully remove your clay and place it on a drying rack
- As your piece starts drying, flip it over to dry the other side
- Once completely dry, lightly sand any rough edges
- String your necklace through and attach a clasp or tie a knot.
- When finished, add 5 drops of your essential oil to the front of your clay necklace before each use.
Let the oils soak into the necklace before wearing, making sure to avoid contact with clothes to prevent staining.
Herbs for Repelling Mosquitoes
Herbs work at repelling biting insects in two ways.
One, they mask your scent and confuse the insects, telling them you are not food.
Second, they actually repel them. There are many herbs that emit scents that offend and deter biting insects.
By combining oils that work at repelling biting insects you create a wonderful non-toxic, all natural mosquito repellent.
You can use any one of the following herbal essential oils alone or in combination with other oils.
I have included my own Mosquito Repellent Recipe below.
- Lemon Balm
- Lemon Verbena
- Lemon Grass
- Horseweed (stone root)
Herbal Insect Repellent Recipe Made with Essential Oils
You will need:
- Empty 5ml dram bottle
- Essential Oils:
Click this article to continue reading. It’s a guest post I wrote for Common Sense Homesteading
Plant An Herbal Mosquito-Repelling Garden
Plant A Mosquito Repelling Garden & Enjoy The Outdoors Again
Do you love the outdoors but the biting insects just won’t leave you alone? I may have a solution for you that will solve your bug-biting issue and get you back in the dirt, plant a mosquito repelling garden and enjoy the outdoors again! Click here to read about the herbs you need to plant.