Homemade “Maple” Syrup- without a maple tree
Several years ago I was reading a farming magazine when I came across a recipe for Corn Cob Syrup- a maple syrup knockoff made from corn cobs. The article had attached quotes saying “my grandfather swears this is better than maple syrup” and ” unless I told you, you would never know the difference”.
Growing up in Michigan and having friends who owned maple syrup farms, I laughed at the notion of Mock Maple Syrup and flipped the page; it reminded me of moonshiners who throw old boots into their shine recipe to add a little ‘kick’!
Fast forward to this summer; I found myself with a couple of bushels of corn I needed to process for the winter months.
After blanching and processing corn on the cob, corn off the cob, and creamed corn, I was staring at a mountain of corn cobs.
The frugal side of me (and I love to recycle) was trying to think of ways to reuse the cobs, just then that old funny recipe came to mind, what did I have to lose?
Several batches later, many test subjects, and kid approval, I can honestly say that you will love this recipe and take joy in adding it to the top of your pancakes!
It is so easy that your kids can help you make it.
- 12 ears of corn- shucked and corn cut off
- One 32 oz bag of brown sugar
- Shuck corn, cut corn off cob (save corn for cooking or freezing) and rinse cob with cold water.
- Place corn cobs in a big cooking pot -I used my spaghetti pot.
- Cover corn cobs with water , about 1-2 ” above cobs
- Simmer on low for about 45 minutes
- Remove corn cobs, strain liquid and rinse out cooking pot
- Return liquid back into pot and add brown sugar
- Bring to boil then reduce heat to simmer
- Simmer until liquid is reduced by half or desired thickness. Syrup will thicken a bit as it cools.
- Cool and store in airtight bottle with lid in fridge.
- Store up to 4 weeks in fridge
Shuck 12 ears of corn and rinse off corn cobs
Add corn cobs to a large pot, cover with water and simmer
Strain liquid, add bag of brown sugar and simmer until liquid is reduced by half
Thursday 14th of October 2021
How much maple syrup does it make? 32 oz.?
Wednesday 13th of June 2018
Can't wait to try this!!
The Ultimate In Frugal Gift Ideas- DIY Pancake Basket - My Homestead Life
Saturday 28th of October 2017
[…] Homemade Maple Syrup (recipe link below- so easy to make, you won’t believe it!) […]