Large Black Hogs (LBH) are a heritage breed pig.
- Mature Boars can weigh 700-800 lbs.
- Mature Sows reach 600-700 lbs. an adult.
Todays small farmers are looking for a heritage breed of pig that can be raised on pasture and produce a superior pork for a niche market.
Heritage breeds are those that were perfected over a hundred years ago by farmers who bred for taste, hardiness, mothering ability, and efficiency.
Most heritage breeds of hogs Purebred Large Black Hogs are known for the ability to thrive on pastures. The pork is darker in color and more flavorful than commercial breeds. The meat is lean yet micro-marbled with short muscle fibers that gives it tenderness.
Our animals are never given growth hormones, steroids or animal by-products.
We sell on-hoof only. This means all pigs leaving our farm are alive.
We currently have four piglets available. $150.00 each and are accepting deposits.
Piglets will be available for pickup at eight weeks of age.
They were born in August 2022 and are siblings.
*** Accepting names for a waiting list Spring 2023
Our sales are local pickup only in Newport, Tennessee. Buyer must provide proper transportation for the pigs.
- No holds without a deposit.
- Non-Refundable Deposit is required.
- No-Shows, No-Calls, will forfeit their deposit.
- Hog. The term hog covers any age, status or gender of animal.
- Boar is a mature male hog.
- Barrow (shortened to bar) is a castrated boar
- Sow is a female that has reproduced
- Gilt is a female that has not reproduced
- Shoat (shote) is any young hog that has been weaned
- Pig is any unweaned baby hog
- Piglet is only the very youngest baby hog