Have you been throwing the best part of the strawberry away all these years? Well maybe not the best part, but we’ve been throwing away something that can serve a greater purpose. Are strawberry tops safe to eat? Not only are they safe to eat but they are full of vitamins and here are 5 ways to use them!
STOP! Don’t Throw Away That Strawberry Top! Here are 5 Amazing Uses
I have some earth-shattering news for you, did you know that a Strawberry isn’t even a berry? Crazy right? Mind BLOWN. You can read more about strawberries in my article here, but for now, I want to talk about the part we all throw away, the top.
Strawberry leaves contain trace minerals and vitamins, such as iron, calcium, and vitamin C. Strawberry leaves to aid in digestion, help alleviate an upset stomach, contain tannins and also bio-molecules that bind to proteins, amino acids, alkaloids and other compounds with a low pH that may place excess stress on your digestive system. Leaves may help reduce symptoms of nausea, bloating, stomach cramps and diarrhea.
#1 Strawberry Top Tea
When you cut the top of a strawberry off, you’re essentially just removing the leaves. But, are the leaves healthier than the fruit itself?
Strawberry leaves have a long history of use as an herbal remedy for diarrhea, especially in children.
Additionally, methyl salicylate, the active pain inhibitor in aspirin is contained in strawberry leaves in trace amounts.
Perhaps most noteworthy is the fact that strawberry leaves contain up to 75 times the amount of the anti-angiogenic compound ellagic acid as do the fruits.
On the low end, strawberries contain around 430 parts per million (ppm) of ellagic acid and can contain as much as 8,430 ppm.
The leaves of the strawberry plant, however, will contain between 8,080 ppm and 32,300 ppm.
So, just as it may be possible to prevent cancer by eating strawberries, it may also be even more beneficial to drink strawberry tea made from freshly picked leaves or tops.
Strawberry Herbal Tea
Herbal Tea not only does it taste delicious and is easy to make, but it is also medicinal.
- 3-5 Berry Tops per 8 oz of tea
- 1 tsp Fresh Herbs of your choice like Mint, Lemon Verbena, Rosemary, Lavender, or Basil.
- Natural sweetener if desired
- Thoroughly wash and pat dry the tops
- You can use fresh tops for immediate use or dry tops in a food dehydrator or oven to store for later use.
- Add 3-5 fresh or dried Tops to your teacup
- Add 1 tsp of fresh herb(s) of your choice.
- Pour boiling water over tops and herbs
- Let Steep for 5-10 mins
- Add natural sweetener of choice and enjoy
#2 Livestock Treat
My girls (chickens, goats, and ducks) love fresh produce treats, especially the tops of berries. They make a great snack for chickens, goats, ducks, rabbits, pigs, horses and more!
#3 Dental Care
Strawberry Tops can give you a brighter smile and healthier teeth; Strawberries help remove the plaque build-up that damages teeth and increases the risk of gum infection.
Teeth Cleaning Instructions
To get that berry shine and remove plaque buildup on your teeth, just follow these simple instructions.
- Dip the end of your fresh berry tops in baking soda,
- Rub on your teeth and leave on for a couple of minutes
- Brush as regular and rinse.
Food waste at the dump creates methane gas and pollution but food scraps in your compost can create beautiful organic matter for your gardens.
#5 Vitamin Water
Vitamin water tastes great, keeps you hydrated and costs just pennies to make. It looks beautiful on any dinner table and kids love the colorful drinks.
In addition to tasting great, vitamin water gives you extra nutrients, minerals, antioxidants, and electrolytes. Many people who don’t like to drink plain water enjoy the taste of vitamin water.
Vitamin Water Recipe
- Add about 10-12 tops to Water Pitcher with an infuser basket. You can add to a regular pitcher if you don’t have an infuser basket, just strain before drinking.
- 2 TBSP of fresh herbs or 3 Slices of fruit.
- Add fruit and herbs to a water pitcher with an infuser basket
- Fill pitcher with water and, store in fridge let set for 2-24 hrs.
Vitamin Water Combinations to try
- Strawberries and Lime
- Mint and Strawberry
- Strawberries and Pineapple Sage
- Lemon and Strawberry
- Strawberries and Anise Hyssop
Want more berry goodness? Then you don’t want to miss my article, Over 30 Strawberry Uses & Recipes!