You would be amazed at all the fun things you can make with your kids with ingredients you have right in your kitchen. This DIY Herbal Finger-paint only uses three ingredients and you can make it in less than 5 mins. Your kids will get a kick out of making their own paint.
Finger-paint is so fun because kids get to get messy with art. Working with natural colors from herbs and essential oils also stimulates other sensory receptors.
“Kids learn through all their senses,” says Ben Mardell, PhD, a researcher at Harvard University, “and they like to touch and manipulate things.”
In addition to this finger-paint project being crazy easy to make, it’s very cost effective. Perfect rain day craft, boredom buster and even party favors.
This recipe is non-toxic, all natural and eco-friendly.
- 4 Tbsp. Cane Sugar
- 1/2 Cup of Arrowroot Powder or Corn Starch
- 2 Cups Cold Water
- Various herb powders or natural food color
- Essential Oils *** optional
Herbs You Can Use For Dye In Finger-paint
- Alkanet Root
- Beet Powder
- Dandelion root
- Hibiscus flower
- Indigo Powder
- Parsley Powder
- Walnut hull powder
- Add: sugar, water and arrowroot powder (or corn starch) to a saucepan and stir until well blended.
- Cook on stove top over med-low heat and continue to stir until it starts to thicken.
- Make sure you don’t cook too long or you’ll have slime instead of paint.
- Remove from heat
- Pour into separate containers (as many containers as you would like colors).
- Let Cool
- Add your powdered herbs or food color until you have desired color.
- For an additional sensory stimuli, you can add 2-3 drops of essential oil to the paint. I like to use lavender, mint, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Store your finger-paint in containers with lids when not in use.
- Now all you need is some paper and an imagination!