Do you love strawberries? Did you know there’s hundreds (if not more) ways to use them? Not only do they taste amazing but there are a lot of benefits to eating strawberries such as reducing inflammation, helping with blood pressure and so much more.
Strawberries: Nutrition, Benefits & Recipes- Over 30 ways to use them!
Strawberry picking is one of the nostalgic memories I have of my youth and it is a tradition I have passed on to my children.
Very rarely do we ever miss a strawberry season that we don’t go picking as a family.
With the old red wagon and containers in tow, we head out into the fields and end the day with stained hands, a full belly, and buckets of berry goodness.
What is a Strawberry?
I have some earth-shattering news for you, did you know that a Strawberry isn’t even a berry? Technically, the strawberry is an aggregate accessory fruit. Meaning that the fleshy part is derived not from the plant’s ovaries but from the receptacle that holds the ovaries. Each apparent “seed” (achene) on the outside of the fruit is actually one of the ovaries of the flower, with a seed inside it.
Now is your mind blown? No? Then keep reading, because these delicious aggregates have some pretty incredible benefits, some of which you never heard of.
Nutritional Benefits of Strawberries
I firmly believe strawberries we’re given their hard-to-resist flavor so we would consume and devour them. We do so, so our bodies will receive all of the health benefits strawberries have to offer. Health food never tasted so good.
- There are over 600 varieties of strawberries.
- Strawberries rank among the top 10 fruits and vegetables in antioxidant capacity.
- High flavonoid content
- A natural anti-inflammatory.
- Reduces the risk of atherosclerosis.
- Protects against the damage caused by low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol.
- Contains the flavonoid quercetin
- Helps to alleviate symptoms of allergies including runny nose, watery eyes, and hives.
read more about Natural Remedies for Allergies.
- High potassium content
- Strawberries are recommended to those with high blood pressure to help negate the effects of sodium in the body
- One serving of strawberries contains 51.5 mg of vitamin C—about half of your daily requirement
Benefits of Strawberries in Personal Care
Strawberries have been an ingredient in personal care products for a long time.
Unfortunately, they include many petroleum-based and synthetic ingredients along with it.
You can make your own, healthy, beneficial and natural strawberry skin care products for a fraction of the cost.
- Not only are strawberries packed with antioxidants, but they also repair damage to the skin’s cell membranes.
- The antioxidants present in strawberries protect the skin from UV damage.
- Strawberries also contain vitamin B complex, glucose, carotene, and amino acids, all of which help improve the complexion.
- Strawberries remove plaque build-up from your teeth.
Make a paste of strawberries and leave on your teeth for 5 mins, then brush as regular and rinse.
We use this technique and have wonderful results with it.
- Face Mask for Oil Control with Strawberries
- Strawberry Moisturizing Facial Treatment
- Exfoliating Scrub with strawberries
Strawberry Benefit -Probiotics
Probiotics are live microorganisms that may be able to help prevent and treat some illnesses. Promoting a healthy digestive tract and a healthy immune system are their most widely studied benefits. These are also commonly known as friendly, good, or healthy bacteria.
Strawberry Probiotic Recipes
How to Grow Strawberries
Strawberries are perennial, so you can plant it once and enjoy for years to come.
Like most hardy perennials, strawberries die back in winter and start growing vigorously as the soil warms in spring.
Strawberries can be grown from zone 6 and up and can be planted in the ground or in pots for colder climates.
- Grow Chives for the Best Strawberries
- Planting Strawberry Roots for Your Biggest Strawberries Ever
- Wild Strawberries
Previously mentioned, strawberry picking is a family tradition I have enjoyed my entire life. Sadly, many small farms are closing every day. As a consequence, locating a U-Pick farm so your family can enjoy the harvest is getting harder and harder to find. Thankfully, there is a website that will help you find U-Pick farm in your area.
So grab your spouse, kids, grand-kids or friend and support your local farms!
How to Store Fresh Strawberries
Unlike me and pretty much the rest of the world, strawberries like humidity. As a rule, the optimal humidity level to store your berries is between 80-90 %.
Although air circulation inside the fridge can lower humidity, you can give your strawberries even more humidity by placing them in your refrigerator’s cold storage bins. Those cold storage bins will help boost humidity by reducing air circulation. The best temperature for strawberry storage over a 2-day period is a cold—36°F.
Recipes With Strawberries
I saved the best strawberry benefit for last- eating! Check out these amazing recipes, from dressings to desserts and everything in between.
Vinaigrette with Strawberries
Sweets and Snacks
Without a doubt, strawberries make some of the best desserts! I could go on sounding like Bubba Gump listing all the ways I enjoy eating strawberry sweets. Here are some of my favorites:
Strawberry Jams and Jellies
In addition to preserving strawberries for the future, jams and jellies are another great way to preserve them. Even though we try to eat as many berries as we can when they’re fresh, sometimes they get a little soft on us, these berries get processed into strawberry jam so nothing gets wasted.
Lastly, we have preserving strawberries. When you get your belly full for the season, it’s time to save them for the future.
More Strawberry Benefits
In addition to eating strawberries, you can use them in skin care, dental care, and even livestock feed. The best part? All of these uses include the part you normally throw away! Check out STOP! Don’t Throw Away That Strawberry Top! Here Are 5 Amazing Uses
- Special thanks to Miracle and Jimmy from Home Sweet Farms for sharing their wonderful strawberries with us and offering a U-Pick farm for all of us to enjoy!
- Check Out More Amazing Gardening Tips Here