How to Make a Neck Cooler- Stay Cool in the Heat
Do you love the outdoors but hate the summer heat? Learn how to make a neck cooler and stay cool in the heat.
These neck coolers make perfect gifts for farmers, gardeners, landscapers, just about anyone who goes outside in the summer!
Staying cool during the heat helps your comfort level and makes your summer more enjoyable.
In addition, staying cool is vitally important in avoiding heat stroke.
Heat stroke (also known as sunstroke) is the most serious form of heat injury and can be deadly. The CDC states that, “On average, 675 people die from complications related to extreme heat each year in the United States – more than tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, lightning or any other weather event combined.”
How to Make a Neck Cooler- Supply List
I have made these with handkerchiefs and they worked great. However, if you have a lot of material laying around like I do, you can use that as well.
- One Fat Quarter (Material) OR Handkerchief
- Straight Edge
- Polymer Crystals/Water Beads
- Rotary Cutter (or scissors)
- Sewing machine
How to Make a Neck Cooler- Instructions
Neck Cooler Step #1
- Cut two strips from fat quarter
- 4 1/2″ x 22″
Neck Cooler Step #2
- Seam short edges together
- Press Seam to one side
- Iron seam if needed
Neck Cooler Step #3
- Fold strip in half lengthwise, right sides together
Neck Cooler Step #4
- Press Under 1/4″ on long un-sewn edges
- Iron if needed to keep material in place
- Keeping raw edges even, stitch an angle on short end
- Sew straight for 10″
- Repeat for opposite end
- Trim angles like in picture
- Being sure folded edges are even
- Stitch in the ditch through the center seam
- Stitch across end of tie stitching
- Half way between end of tie stitching and center, stitch across
- Repeat from other end
- Backtrack at each edge
- Top stitch 1/8″ from open edge
- Insert 1/4 tsp of beads (polymer crystals/water beads) into each section
- Finish top stitching
- Be sure not to sew through the beads
- Now you’re done!
How to Use Your Neck Cooler: Instructions for Use
- Place the neck cooler in a cup or bowl of water and let set for one hour in the fridge.
- Remove the neck cooler and slightly ring out.
- The polymer beads in your neck cooler will expand after they have soaked in water, filling each section of the neck cooler.
- You can now wear your prepared neck cooler around your neck.
- When the neck cooler gets warm, place back in fridge until cold.
- Repeat as needed.
- After several weeks, your beads will shrink. Repeat steps 1-5.
- It is ideal to have more than one neck cooler to rotate as needed.
Pictures and instructions by my lovely neighbor and adopted family member, Virginia (Ginger) Sulo. Ginger is not only the best neighbor in the world but also an excellent seamstress.